This server is serving many virtual hosts through a variety of
means. I currently have three domains pointing to this IP address and the
domains configured so that almost all subdomains also point to this address.
I initially set up Apache to handle virtual hosts as part of setting
up the secure side of my web server. Although many domain names point to this
server, the server certificate is for *.lam1.us which means it doesn't match
two of the top level domain names for requests it could receive. This means a
browser will pop up a dialog box warning you about the site if the request top
level domain doesn't match the certificate. You also get a warning because I
use a self signed certificate and haven't proven my sites identity by letting
a trusted entity charge my credit card every year. I will have to fix this
if I try to get a bunch of people I don't know and who don't know me do credit
card transactions on the site so I can have some of their money. The secure
site is really mostly for me. I have a huge amount of information available
to me from anywhere I have internet access but I don't want it available to
the public at large. The only way I feel I can do this safely is through
authenticated access available only through a secure web connection.
When I decided to set up a virtual host for my cabo website I found
that I already knew how to do it and had done it when setting up secure web
access. Within a day after setting up the cabo website I set up this one
to document the named virtual hosts I have set up and don't mind the public
Two of the sites listed above as on Local Area network are routed
to different computers on my Local Area Network. I currently have three
different computers configured to run my website. This was done this year
as part of upgrading my main server. My main server was running Fedora Core 4
at the beginning of the year and is now running PCLinuxOS 2007. Before upgrading
the server I configured my workstation and laptop and did several refreshes.
All of the machines are backed up daily and the main server is backed up daily,
weekly and monthly. I tested rebuilding both of the other machines from the
backups to get the server up to the point of the last daily backup before proceeding.
I then switched the router so that the workstation was now the main server and
I could upgrade the old server. I took a week testing that the new server was functioning
O.K. and then did the upgrade. Once the upgrade was complete and the data was all refreshed
I switched the router again. If on the local area network the q.lam1.us, lam2006d1.lam1.us
and laptop.lam1.us domain names each point to different machines. All incoming requests
from the internet are directed to the main server by my router regardless of the
domain name. I have done some research on configuring apache to allow me to access
other Local Area Network machines from the one internet connection but haven't
implemented anything yet.
The last site listed above is also only valid on my Local Area Network
but is by IP address rather than domain name. I have my Local Area Network configured
using the 10.*.*.* block of addresses reserved for Local Area Networks. This gives
me more local addresses than I can ever imagine needing.
Thursday, July 28, 2016 @ 12:12:28 PM